Sunday, January 13, 2013

Meanwhile, on the Other Side of the World...

It is 7,351 miles from Dallas, Texas to Shanghai, China. In my 12 years living in Dallas, I did learn that yes, there are some things that are bigger in Texas: hair (although to be fair, it was the 90's), trucks, hats. Which came first? The Texas Tumbler or the 40 ounce glass with free refills of soda -sorry, I'm showing my northeastern roots, I mean "pop"- at lunch time? Certainly there is one things that countless lunches at LaHacienda on Preston Road in Frisco taught me: The salsa bowl should be Texas sized!

Today we checked out the new Peter's Tex-Mex in Jinqiao. There are a few other branches in other parts of town, so I figure they would know what they are doing by now. It was early in the day so we were the first ones there. We sat down and perused the menu. After finding something that the-children-who-only-eat-white-food would actually eat, we decided to order. Eventually the waitress brought our drinks and a bowl of chips. She reassured us that no, we did not need to order salsa separately, it would be provided shortly. Imagine our surprise when this arrived:
Wait, let's get a hand in there so we can see some scale. I was afraid the chip wasn't even going to fit in the bowl!
Hey Vivi, get your Barbie! The waitress just brought her a bowl of salsa! I wish I could have seen our faces when that thing arrived at the table. I think we scared the waitress. I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself! 

I think it is safe to say  that Texas' title is safe: things may be cheaper in Shanghai but they certainly aren't very big! At least I got my Dr. Pepper fix.

Just for fun, we'll close with this one. I followed this woman around Carrefour for about 15 minutes before I was able to get this picture. I'm trying to imagine what was going through her head as she stood at the front door and grabbed her keys: "You know, my purple plaid bunny slippers actually match this purple coat. I think I'll leave them on when I go buy groceries."
 I'd lay big bucks she wasn't the only one in slippers in Carrefour that day. Only in China.

Happy New Year to you all~


1 comment:

  1. Or in Wal-Mart! Should I send you some REAL salsa bowls so next time you can BYOB? Love you miss you!

    ReplyDelete