Monday, December 24, 2012

Mother of Invention, the Christmas Episode

The other day Vivienne and I happened to catch an episode of Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs. For some reason his task that day was to bake a pie. (I think it is safe to say they are running out of ideas for truly dirty jobs on that show...) Regardless of how dirty that task may have been for him, Vivienne has since been asking me "Mommy, when are you going to make a pie for me?" What better occasion than Christmas Eve dessert?

I pulled out my 1951 edition of Margaret Mitchell's Mealtime Magic Desserts and got to work. Having never before made pie crust from scratch I was a little nervous, but it turned out alright. I mixed it, I chilled it, I rolled it out only to discover that I no longer have a pie pan. Oy! Now what? Time to get my Martha Stewart on. I may not have a pie plate but I have a Christmas Tree pan!
I need to work on the oven temp next time but I think I may have started a new tradition! The kids aren't big fans of apple pie it turns out, but it's small enough that Heinz and I can share it over a few days without being complete gluttons! And yes, I think Santa is bringing hair cuts to all the children at our house this year...
From our house to yours, 
Merry Christmas 
and a very 
Happy New Year 
to you all!

2 comments:

  1. That pie is genius! How the heck did you make that work???? Sending you Merry Christmas blessings from the four of us to the four of you. Love you! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pure genius! And I bet it was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete