Wednesday, August 7, 2013

In The Rainy Season

We've been back from our vacation in the States for over a week now, (not yet long enough for me to figure out which side of the car I'm supposed to get in before I open the wrong door-again!) and it's taking a bit of time to settle back in to any kind of routine. Perhaps I'm still in denial that our awesome time in New York with the family is now in the past. Perhaps I'm still in denial about how disorganized my house feels and how much work still needs to be done. Perhaps I am just waiting for the kids to start school next week so that we can finally get back into a real routine. Regardless, life goes on and errands need to be done.

Here in Chiang Mai we are in the heart of the rainy season. Now, it rained a lot while we were in New York; caused a change of plans more than once or twice and many of our pictures included umbrellas and rain boots.
Watching Zach play baseball in the rain 
Walking the streets of New York City with Uncle Smitty
Getting ready to make a mad dash for the car as the Independence Day parade has been rained out
But for the most part we could trust that the roads would be passable when we finally did make it to the car, drowned as rats though we may have been.

Today, back to reality and the business of everyday life, I had a few errands to run. The rain had begun about an hour before I left the house and it turned out parking would be the least of my problems. I had left behind my familiar routes as I tried to find the quickest way from where I was to where I needed to be, when suddenly I was confronted with this:
and this
 I managed to navigate my way out
and eventually made it back to drier roads. But the rain continued while I was out and about, and life went on in spite of it. 

The Coke gets delivered rain or shine, no matter how big the puddles get. No one here seems to wear rainboots.
It floods from the back door in, in some of the shops.
I'm very relieved my front yard doesn't look like this:

Or at least it doesn't yet. Check back with us tomorrow...

One rule for the rainy season:
Never leave the house without your umbrella.
Probably a good idea to being a friend as well!

Stay dry!




1 comment:

  1. also good to keep your sense of humor! thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete