Saturday, May 25, 2013

Trading the Golden for a Yellow

Personally I think the summer in Shanghai last year was much worse than the heat we are experiencing in these hottest months of Chiang Mai right now but I think poor Ginger would beg to differ. She wasn't ours yet last summer but it occurred to me that I think the Gazzollas had gotten her clipped before I started watching her for them over the break. I thought she might appreciate it if I did the same for her this summer.

I had found a place around the corner early on to buy dog food and was relieved to learn that they also provide grooming services. We managed to communicate enough that I understood I was to bring Ginger in on Saturday. As I handed her leash to the groomer this morning, I asked her "clip?" and she gave me a confused look. So I said next "Shave?" and she shook her head 'yes'. "Labrador?" she asked me and I thought to myself "well, no, she's a Golden but it's a minor detail. Your English is way better than my Thai so who am I to argue with you about my dog's breed?" So I said "yes" and handed her over.

As I waited for the groomer to come back and let me know when to pick her up, I ordered another lovely iced cappuccino from the "coffee bar" at the front of the store. Inexplicably they have a little counter set up near the cash register and the employees, in their Purina Pro Plan, Purina One PetMart employee shirts will make you a drink to order. You can even get a shot of Johnny Walker Black or other distilled spirits! Like I said, there are little coffee bars everywhere in Chiang Mai! It's a bit surreal.

Eventually the groomer said to come back after 12:00 so I headed home to do some more of that dreaded organizing, the need for which seems endless at my house. A few hours later I returned to the shop to pick up my girl. It quickly became clear to me that, what the groomer meant was while I had handed over a Golden Retriever, what she would be giving BACK to me would be a Labrador Retriever!

I was expecting her to have slightly shorter hair, not to have transformed into a Yellow Lab! I did a double take and was about to say "wait, that's not my dog..." But then I decided to have a little fun. When we got home I said "Ginger wasn't ready so I just took whatever dog they had available." Conrad looked at her, horrified, and said "Mom, we can't take someone else's dog! Bring it back and go get Ginger!" I had to convince him that I was joking and this actually was her.

I have to say they did do a really nice job, though, for about 18 USD. The clipper tracks are noticeable in the photo but you can't see them on her in real life. And they didn't leave her with that big fluffy lion head that some groomers do after the shave. I think she is so much happier. Now she can actually feel the cool of the tile when she lays on the floor.

It is a bit hot today so I may go lay down next to her. Better yet, I'm getting in the pool! Wanna join me?

1 comment: