Thursday, October 29, 2009

Should I brave a Malaysian Salon?

The other day I said to my husband that if we had moved here on a more permanent basis I would chop off all of my hair. It is just too hot and humid here to deal with it. That being said I have not had my hair cut since before Viv was born. It desperately needs cutting and I have toyed with the idea of going to a salon here and taking a chance. Well, there is one on the ground floor of our building and last night Heinz and I were looking at their sign.

Code 6, is their name and they advertise "We are specialize in:" (followed by the usual list of services, no further grammatical misadventures). At the bottom of the sign it states "with appointment no disappointment". Okay, I can't argue with that but what really caught my eye and really tweaked that "Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore" surreality was this: they have the awards they have won listed on their sign, not so strange, but their awards for 2007 gave me pause. Code Six was the Malaysia Hair Association's Overall Senior Grand Champion, no problem with that although it does make them sound like a show horse at the fair, but they were also the 2007 "Fantasy Open Fire Theme Winner".



I don't even know where to go with that. Although I know you are probably also conjuring images of flaming heads... So I googled it. And it gets better. I found this:

The Malaysian Hairdressing Association offers the following among their Competition Categories:
Fantasy Professional - Animal Kingdom (Open)
Fantasy Hairstyle on a female / male model
The expanse of fire theme will allow contestants to draw imagination conclusions on their idea of the mysterious cosmic fire and translate it into their hairstyling.


"mysterious cosmic fire". Maybe some things just don't translate between languages, even if they can be translated into hairstyles. I think I will wait until I get home to get my hair cut...

3 comments:

  1. Jackie, I was cracking up reading about the fire hair themes. I had to color my hair last night. This is not something I like to do and I have always been happy to let my hairdresser take care of it for me. But with my new budget I have had to give up my expensive salon color and go with the Nice and Easy experience. Last month when I colored my hair for the first time I felt that it came out a little too red. Last month I used color #111 so this month I used #110. My roots were bad so I put the color on the roots first and then did my whole head. After the required time I rinsed, put the conditioner in and then did the final rinse. I looked in the mirror only to see that I had carroty orange roots while the rest of my head looked like burnt sienna! Who would have thought there could be that much difference between 111 and 110!!They certainly looked very similar when I compared the boxes! Thank heavens there was still some color left in the bottle so I put the color on my WHOLE head for another 10 minutes, rinsed, conditioned and then did the final rinse. My hair still seems a little redder than I would like it to be, but at least the whole head seems to be a matching color!
    So Jackie, the moral of the story is that you don't have to go to a foreign country to have an interesting hair experience. I was experimenting with the fire theme before I even knew you could win an award. Bottom line, I say go with the salon every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I was experimenting with the fire theme before I even knew you could win an award"...You're killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie, I'm sure you could google pics of the fire theme. I've seen pics of hairshows like that, I'm pretty sure they don't use any actual burning objects!!
    I say cut your hair. I did in Japan, you get a different experience in a foreign country, I had much flatter hair in Japan, and I liked it!

    ReplyDelete